Sunday, March 13, 2011

Evaluate Your Golf Game

I just got off the phone with a friend and our conversation was centered around her golf game and more importantly her scoring following a tournament.  It is close to impossible to coach from afar, because coaching is a very situational skill.  It is based on not just physical shots, but body language, decision making, game plans and so much other stuff you can't see from afar.  As I thought about it, I decided that a Coaching Inventory would help me coach my students scattered around the country.  Better yet, it will help you coach yourself to become a better player.

If I know young people, I better make this inventory both relevant and brief if I want it to be used in earnest.  It will also require honesty on the player's part if it is truly going to help your game.  So here goes.  If you have feedback on how I can make this inventory better, please let me know.  Is there anything unneeded or anything you don't see that would help you evaluate your game?  Feel free to take it and email your results to me at jmsuds@gmail.com and I will give you some thoughts on how to improve areas.  It is important that you go into this with an open mind.  If you think you are great off the tee, you might be right, but then again, you might have unwarranted confidence.

All answers are on a scale of 1-10, with ten being the best and one being the worst.  Think Bo Derek.  For you young kids, look it up on Wikipedia!

Golf Game Evaluation

All questions are answered on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best and 1 being the worst.  Take the test quickly using your first instinct for each rating.  There are 49 physical ratings and 23 golf character ratings.  You can use it after a round, a tournament or a season to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses and what you need to focus on to grow as a player.

  • Physical Game 
Driver   
    Length
    Direction Control/Spin
    Overall Confidence
        Confidence w/trouble right
        Confidence w/trouble left
Fairway Woods
    Distance Control
    Direction Control/Spin
    Lie Management
        (note any problem lies ie.: rough, uphill, bare, etc)
    Confidence
Hybrids
    Distance Control
    Direction Control/Spin
    Lie Management
    Confidence
Long and Mid Irons (3-6)
    Distance Control
    Direction Control/Spin
    Lie Management
    Confidence
Short Irons (7-9)
    Distance Control
    Direction Control/Spin
    Trajectory Control
    Lie Management
    Confidence
Trouble Shots
    Distance Control
    Direction Control/Spin
    Decision Making
    Confidence
Wedges
    Distance Control
    Direction Control/Spin
    Trajectory Control
    Lie Management
    Confidence
Bunker Play
    Lie Management
    Distance Control
    Direction Control/Spin
    Confidence
Pitching (w/in 50 yards)
    Distance/Trajectory Control
    Direction Control
    Confidence
Chipping
    Ability to land it where I want
    Predicted shots roll and speed
    Left myself short putts
Putting
    Started the ball on the line chosen
    Controlled my pace well
    Read the greens well and chose the right targets
    Made my short putts
    Gave myself a chance to make long putts and left short second putts
Physical
    Kept myself hydrated and energized with food
    Had the physical energy to finish as strong as I started
    Protected myself from sun, wind and rain

  • Golf Character 
Game Plan
    Had a plan for each hole
    Followed my plan to the best of my ability
Preparation
    Stepped on first tee ready to play
    I had all the equipment needed for success today
    I had the food and water I needed to fuel success
Pre Shot Routine
    Visualized my shots well
    Aimed well
    Focused throughout and executed
Post Shot Routine
    Anchored good shots
    Accepted mistakes
    Kept emotions working for me, not against me
Decision Making
    Made good decisions
    Committed to my decisions until execution
    Based my decisions on what I wanted, not what I was avoiding
    Chose shots I knew I could hit well
    Made decisions based on where I stood, not based on how I got there
Focus
    Focused when I needed to and relaxed between shots
    Kept my focus on what I could control
    Left worry, doubt and fear in the car
    Focused equally on every shot - my “try-level” was consistent
Emotional Control
    Controlled both highs and lows
    Motivated myself with the voice in my head and didn’t trash talk myself
    Never gave up on myself or my game

No comments:

Post a Comment

Perfectionists, Read This!

Today, I was scheduled to recruit in North Texas, but my player's plans changed, so I have some bonus time on my hands and I get to do s...