Friday, November 30, 2012

The Why!

This is very powerful stuff.

Great leaders THINK, ACT & COMMUNICATE in the same way.

The Golden Circle =

Why doesn't mean winning.  Winning is a result.  Here is my why:

People don’t buy what you do, they buy why you do it.  Players don't want to play for SMU because of what we do, but they feel why we do it.  Our beliefs, actions, thoughts and words need to line up.  We need to understand the why so that we can live in sync with our reason for being on the team.

Why do I do what I do?
    I want to lead people to achieve their dreams, be their best self and grow.  In turn, my dreams will be fulfilled.

How do I do it?
    I do it by supporting them in what they do each day.
    I do it by pushing them to stretch themselves mentally, physically and emotionally.
    I do it by helping them form a vision of a successful self.
    I do it by providing excellent technical knowledge and honest and positive coaching.
    I do it by teaching my students that they don’t have to be someone else to be great, but they might need to change how they view themselves and their habits.
    I provide my students with freedom to play, be themselves and be joyful.

What do I do?
    I coach and teach golf.
    I mentor.
    I love.

The players who are at SMU understand.  The players who just joined us this year felt the why and came even though we were ranked #110 in the country.  Players who continue to join us in the future will do so because of the why, not the results.  Our culture is from the inside out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment