Saturday, March 2, 2013

Take a Step Back

It's that time of year.  The time to take a deep breath and a step back.  I need to remember that I have really good people on this team.  They are working very hard to play good golf, to please us, to get good grades, to pull their weight in the classroom, to figure out life and to have some fun.  When I was a younger coach, this would be the time of year when I would push harder, coach more and talk longer.  I just caught myself doing it again!

Instead, I have to remember the lessons learned over the years.  The players will "get it" when it is time for them to get it.  Pushing them and explaining it 100 different ways probably won't make it happen faster and will actually probably get in the way.  Another thing I need to remember this time of year is to let them figure things out for themselves.  It isn't about me or my coaching, it is about them.  We have lead them to the water and when they are thirsty, they will drink.

It's also good to remember they are all different and they all need to be on their own time.  They are at the age of figuring out who they are and part of that is challenging our ideas and our authority.  I need to support their challenges, because in the end, it will help them figure out their own path.  It will probably make them zig zag for awhile, but straight paths are generally pretty boring.



I wrote this blog for myself to remind me to back off and allow the learning to sink in.  Let them take ownership of what they are doing and how they are doing it.  Let them figure stuff out on their own.  I will be here as a sounding board and ready to do what is needed, but this group is good and headed the right direction.  If I can have some patience, support their independence and encourage them through any results, we will definitely get there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Toughness Matters

Last week, I wrote a blog about getting caught up in problem-solving and the move I've made away from that in my coaching.  I've sin...