Saturday, June 14, 2014

Summertime & Goaltime!

Summertime!  I've had a nice break from blogging, but not from learning and discovering.  I'm well into quite a few books and we will make some changes next year in our direction as a team based on the summer's reading.  Subjects?  Meditation, statistics and Bruce Springsteen!  The books are 10% Happier by Dan Harris, Every Shot Counts by Martin Broadie and Bruce! by Peter Ames Carlin.  All are good reads.  The first is a layman's guide to the whys and whats of meditation.  Dan Harris is a journalist who you can catch on Good Morning America.  The second is a guide to statistics and what was learned from Shot Tracker on the PGA Tour.  The third is a story of passion, dreams, talent, hard work and the ultimate success of Bruce Springsteen. It's a varied list, but I'll explain.

Dan Harris, author of 10% Happier


Why meditation?  The things that often hold us back aren't talent, ball striking, or putting.  My team is loaded with talent.  They can hit it and they roll the rock.  Instead, as a college coach, I see my players struggling with time-management, balance, stress, awareness and mindfulness.  Their self-talk is often out of control (monkey mind) and their ability to be in the moment is constantly challenged.  We play at NCAA's for a chance to reach the Championship during Finals Week, as do many teams.  All of these skills are tested the most at the most important time of the year.  Yet, these skills aren't taught specifically.  Yes, we talk about it and we design drills to focus attention where it needs to go, but we are still dancing around what we need.  To play at the highest level, we need focus, awareness, a positive attitude and a good physical game.  The more I explore meditation, the more I think it might help us teach the first three skills needed and take some of the pressure off of the physical game. 

As for the stats, I will need to spend an entire blog on Mr. Broadie's book.  It is eye opening in some ways and explains what I know in other ways.  Broadie debunks the myth that the best players are the best putters.  Instead, all have their own strengths that allow them to win on tour.  I completely agree that all players rely upon their strengths to gain a win, yet I also don't see many bad putters out there.  I'm only half way through the book, so I won't write any more until I've read it through at least once. 



As for Springsteen, his biography could just as easily be Tiger's.  He knew he was going to be a star long before he got his first gig.  He coupled that vision with an intensity of focus, a deep passion and a penchant for hard work.  I'm only on the second album (big black disc that spun on a turn table and played music for you young folks) era, but I love reading about his life.  There is much to learn from successful people from all walks of life, but rock stars lead interesting lives that are fun to peek into.

The rundown of reading is superfluous to the blog I wanted to write, but it leads into one of the tenants I'll talk about.  Whenever you get a break from competition, it's a good time to take a deep breath and look at what's happening.  It's the time to ask yourself a lot of questions, such as what have I been doing well?  What do I need to improve on?  Am I on track with my long-term goals?  Do I need to adjust any of them?  What short-term goals will help me reach my long-term goals? 



Here is what I asked my players for this week:

Summer (short-term goals)
What do you want to accomplish?
How will you work to do it?
How will you measure your progress?
Who will keep you accountable?
What will it look like when you achieve it?
 
Long-term goals
What do you want to accomplish in the next year or two?
What do you want your golf legacy to look like?
What is your dream for you and for your team?
What will you do to work toward these goals?
How will you measure your progress?
Who will help you?
What will it look like when you achieve it?
 
This is a good start to thinking through your goals.  I used it myself.  At the end of the season, I thought about what we can do better as coaches, what we can do better as a team and what I can do better as a person off the course.  I've stuck to my goals in the last category and it is a process that is much the same as a golfer faces.  I've had success and also gotten stuck.  It's hard to see my progress and my discipline is sometimes fleeting.  Yet, I'm still plugging.  That is really the answer; keep plugging.  


 
Let's walk through a goal you might have for yourself and really look at it from all directions.  
"I want to be a great putter."  That is a goal you might embrace.  How will you know if you're a great putter?  You can keep stats, such as number of putts made or the distance of putts made in a round.  You could look at 3 putt avoidance or 1 putts made.  You could track how close your ball gets to the hole on all putts or how closely your read matched the roll of the ball.  There are many ways to figure out improvement and you should use more than one.  
 
Now that you figured out a goal and a few ways of tracking it, you need to set aside the numbers and think about the process.  How will you improve?  How will you practice?  Who will help you?  How will you think?  How much time will you allow?  Putting involves aiming and starting the ball on line, distance control and green reading.  You will face putts of all lengths, uphill putts, downhill putts, left to right sliders and right to left putts, too.  Each of those skills will need to be addressed as you work toward becoming a GREAT PUTTER.
 
Finally, you have to think like a great putter starting now.  Visualize yourself making putts.  Think like a great champion on the green.  Champions aren't putting to avoid 3 putts, they are putting to make it.  They have fantastic awareness and even better confidence in their abilities.  Thinking like a great putter will take as much work as the physical practice and it all takes discipline and habit formation.  
 
Now it's your turn.  Set a goal or two.  Think about your dream and bite off a little bite that will help you reach it.  Figure out what it will look like when you achieve it.  Find someone to help you on your path or to keep you accountable.  Then work hard on it and don't give up! 
 
 
 
Goals are often slow to show progress.  True mastery takes time and patience.  Stay true to your goals and believe in your ability to achieve.  If you fail or fall back, you can make excuses, tell yourself a story or blame others, but in the end, the real answer is to recommit and get to work.  The commitments you make to yourself are the most important commitments to keep.  Good luck!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment