Thursday, June 30, 2016

5 Things


The five things I love to hear from my players and recruits:
1. Coach, I ran out of holes today.
2. I can't wait to play.
3. What'd you see that can make me better?
4. I learned a lot today and I'll be better tomorrow.
5. I love my team.


The five questions I ask my players:
1. What do you need to do to be prepared to play?
2. What is your focus goal on the course today?
3. What's the best you can do from where you're standing?
4. Do you see your shot?
5. Did you have a good time out there?



The five things players want to hear:
1. Thanks for giving us all you had today.
2. I loved watching you play.
3. Your body language was fantastic today.
4. You're a great team player.
5. I'm proud of you.

The trick for all of these spoken words is mindset. Players and coaches need to have enthusiasm for the game, for the competition and for the work involved in preparation. Players have to work to earn the words and coaches have to recognize and praise good things. The energy and emotion needs to be positive.


Henry Ford wasn't talking golf in this quote, but he might as well have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Perfectionists, Read This!

Today, I was scheduled to recruit in North Texas, but my player's plans changed, so I have some bonus time on my hands and I get to do s...