Sunday, June 5, 2016

The Energy Bus and Me

About two weeks ago, I finished reading the Energy Bus.  It's the second or third time I've read it.  It's a quick read and a simple book, but one of the most profound books I've read.  I set it down and decided I was all in.  I was going to share it's ideas and pass on the knowledge gained.  What I forgot to do was really take it to heart myself.

Here are the ten rules from Jon Gordon's book, The Energy Bus:
10 RULES FOR THE RIDE OF YOUR LIFE
1. You’re the Driver of the Bus.
2. Desire, Vision and Focus move your bus in the right direction.
3. Fuel your Ride with Positive Energy.
4. Invite People on Your Bus and Share your Vision for the Road Ahead.
5. Don’t Waste Your Energy on those who don’t get on your Bus.
6. Post a Sign that says “No Energy Vampires Allowed” on your Bus.
7. Enthusiasm attracts more Passengers and Energizes them during the Ride.
8. Love your Passengers.
9. Drive with Purpose.
10.Have Fun and Enjoy the Ride.


The book is a few weeks in the life of a character and it goes through the ways his life got away from him and what he needs to do to get back on track and live up to who he can be.  As I said, it's simplistic and condensed, but it rings true.  When I read it, I liked it.  It's hard not to, because we all want positivism, love, enthusiasm and a purpose.  Yesterday, I had some time to think and I mean really think.  I thought about our season and my leadership.  I thought about how I was looking at all that occurred.  I thought about my friend M.L. winning the Championship.  I thought about what I wanted and the relationship between discipline and motivation.  In other words, I thought about where my bus was headed.

When I read the book and got excited, I failed to truly embrace the #1 rule.  I wasn't taking responsibility for me.  I got too involved in results and not enough in process.  I allowed negativity to waft and joined in.  I didn't show 100% trust for each and every player on the team, thereby eroding trust in all.  I allowed behavior that I didn't like to happen without correction, but resented it.  Oh boy, I have a lot of work to do to be a good driver.  Thankfully, I have some great people already on my bus.



Here are my vows for myself and for our bus next season:
1.  Take responsibility for where the bus goes.  100%!
2.  Keep my vision for my life in mind.  I want to do this job I love until I'm 65.  That means I need to get into better shape and stay in shape.  That means I need to accept facts, such as tiredness, aches and pains and set them aside.  That means I need to get busy reaching my goal of winning an NCAA Championship through harder work, higher standards and sincere positivism.
3.  Allow the team to set their vision and purpose and support and live it.
4.  Stay positive.  We are going to develop a culture of positivism.  There will be no room for complaints of pairings, greens conditions, wind, rain, tiredness, aches and pains, travel problems, upcoming tests, roommates, teammates, bogies, putting strokes, sore feet, etc.  You get the idea.  I have an idea of how we can do this in a fun way.  I'm as bad as anyone, so you can bet this will be a tough chore.  David is one of the best people I know about not complaining, so he can be a great role model for me and others.  Our strength coach, Marc Soltis actually tracks the number of days he goes with no complaints, so he is another role model who can help us.  I will know if I'm transformed if I start tracking unspoken complaints instead of only what comes out of my mouth.
5.  I'm not going to say the rest will be easy, because I know it won't, but the love and enthusiasm is there.  I love my team and I have endless enthusiasm for coaching.  I simply need to take 100% responsibility for our direction and be a good leader.  If I don't like our direction, I'm the driver that needs to make a change.  If I don't like our energy, it's probably starting with me.

I'm still going to share this book with the team, but I'm going to work to live it myself first.  It's funny how you attract into your head what you need to consider.  A bunch of stuff has been hitting me in the face lately.  This quote from Dr. Rob Bell:  "If you want to change the way you feel about somebody, change the way you treat him."  This writing by author Richard Paul Evans.  A short interview with Matt Kuchar during a rain delay yesterday when the interviewer asked him how hard it was to stop for weather after birdieing 3 of the last 4 holes played.  Kuchar said, "I'll figure out a way to make it a good thing.  That's what you have to do, you have to flip things to your favor out here.  Always."  He went on to talk about the good snacks at the Memorial.  This TedTalk showed up on my phone app.



There are signs everywhere that I need to be stronger and better as a leader.  I definitely need to quit pushing things away that are energy vampires in my life and get rid of them.  I need to rely on motivation and allow it to provide discipline.  So, here's a vow to be better.  I'd like to say it starts today, but it actually started two days ago.  It will be a daily, hourly, minute by minute struggle.  But I can always start over, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Awareness

Where do you place your awareness?  This is a gigantic question, because there are so many things, thoughts, people and conditions to be awa...